Dave and John's Cross-Continent Road Rally, June 2011, Part 3

Imperial Home Page -> Imperials by Year -> 1961 -> Great Race 2011

Part 1, Background and Days 1 and 2

Part 2, Days 3 and 4 Part 3, Days 5 and 6
Part 4, Days 7 and 8 Part 5, Days 9 and 10

A link to John's BLOG

Day 5, June 12, 2011:

Great Race Posting #5

Ahhh…. The sweet cool of the mountains. Today we ONLY climbed to 1700 feet (the crest of the Blue Ridge), and chased the Blue Ridge Parkway and other windy country roads up from North Carolina and into Virginia. Beautiful, cool and shady; the B.R. Parkway is as different from I-81 as any two roads could be. I-81 is so open and wide and flat and FREAKING BORRRING that most deaths there are from sheer boredom or deafness from the truck tires howling. The parkway is as close and twisty as an ivy vine on a lamp-post (or some of the kudzu that covers many of the lower slopes in these parts). It was quite a challenge swinging 20 feet of wide-body Imperial around these little notch curves with radii smaller than the car's length! AND AT EXACT SPEED (even if that speed was only 25)! WE ran top down as the morning sky was so open and lovely- right choice! Dave likes the shade of the (black) roof), but I call it his wimp-rag. The parkway was so well shaded (and up a bit) that sun was no issue, except to add spatters of dappling through the forest canopy, so we couldn't see the landmarks and signs TOO easily. As we cut close to the rough stone inside the tighter right-handers, I asked Dave to reach out and pick us some salad from the greenery on the rock! No such luck. We had some chances to prove our new time-adjustment methods, for when the required speed just CAN'T be maintained. We got stuck behind another car that should have been a full minute ahead. WE suspected he was running slow, as he has only the original speedometer in an old English car , while we have the de-rigeur digital rally speedo mounted over the dash (we were much abashed at day's end to find they had a better score than we did on that leg). Still, there was a time when we were gaining on them and coming so close that we had to slow and figure the delay, then recover later. It was even trickier when were slowed by a bicyclist (brave soul!), then during our recovery (running fater than required to undo the delay), we were interrupted by a truck pulling out, so we had to quick add a new delay in the midst of the ongoing correction. Fast math required! I think it turned out OK, but exciting! We ran a looong leg and a short one and descended into Galax,VA for a lunch break.

The afternoon was hotter, with a special treat of a challenge at the start. The start was on a 4-lane highway, adjacent to a gas station. Just as we arrived, a VERY local downpour opened up (yes we had raised the wimp-rag (sunburn is one thing – wet leather quite another!). We couldn't see a thing (slow wipers at full speed, but really in this kind of waterfall, there is no wiper that can help much). Some of the open cars just pulled over, rather that crash blindly into whatever might be in front of them (a reasonable response). We pushed on and the edge of the storm was just hundreds of feet away, after which hardly another drop! Sadly, we then missed a cue and turn, sending us several miles off route, so far that we had to write off that leg. WE backtracked and picked up that checkpoint over 20 minutes late. Whoops! Fortunately, the clock starts again at each checkpoint, so we could run the following leg and try to forget that one. We can, too, because the worst leg each day is dropped from the final scoring (except on the last day of the rally).

I had a headache so I started chewing gum to ease it. It wasn't long beforeI managed to bite my cheek, proving that I can't chew gum and drive rally at the same time!!!

We ran down along the New River and it gorge, through tiny Allsonia, VA and twisted the mighty, massive Imp around some of the tightest, slopingest, twistiest little roads I have even ridden. I have NO idea how they ever paved these things – the paving machines I know about could never have twisted that much! Fun stuff, though I do wish I might try them some day in a smaller open sports car. This area is biker heaven for the same reason. Sadly, for them and local motorists, our set-speeds were always a bit lower than the speed limit. THat's no big deal if we're going 50 in a 55; but when we're going 20 in a 25; they do seem to pile up behind us a bit. We took to calling all the non-competing drivers 'muggles' because we know they are caught up in and even they cannot understand.

We saw our first roadside viewers today. The cross-country run in 2006 seemed to have such folk everywhere, out in lawn chairs to watch the rolling car show go by. WE missed them yesterday and wondered if we would see them. Indeed we did today. My favorite are the littler kids that get so excited as we roll on by –things they have never seen!

Ol' NO XQS ran pretty well today, but I can tell there's one (or more weak cylinder). There'a a real lope at idle and pulling a steep hill in low gear I can feel the uneven pulse. One local pointed out tome that it may just be a vacuum leak, as the tap for the brake booster is right over the #8 runner. At a break, I tried plugging the hose but it still seemed just as lumpy at idle (I did NOT try driving it without boost!). I think we just have to live with it for now and hope it doesn't do too much harm. Any IML'ers out there have any suggestions?

The brakes also gave us some trouble today. The left front is getting grabby and draggy again (same thing happened in 2006), so SOMEtimes, the car darts left on a first, fast poke at the pedal. IT sounds lumpy on a hard pull-down, too. Not too pretty, but no extra drum in the trunk, so this, too, is a live-with-it.

On the other hand, I am constantly amazed that I can do this for hours in the Imp and get out with no stiff back. I think modern seats, with there better side bolsters and grippy leathers must hold a body TOO still, so it gets stuck and stiff-ish. Here, especially on the twisty roads, a person's spine and legs have to do that locational work, keeping the head upright and the buns in the chair!

We rolled into the CivicCenter of Salem, VA for the evening show. A good crowd and lots of fun meeting and greeting the folks who turned out. Dear Sue (who let me come do this) went to college here, a few years back. This is not my first stop in this town!

Some pix are starting to appear on the race website (www.greatrace.com). As before, they tend to favor the old-style open-wheel racers, but it's worth a look to see some of our Fellow Travellers and their rides. We often meet up with photographers at strategic spots along the way. We wave. There is also video footage being shot, though as yet, there is no airing scheduled.

(click on small images to view full size versions)

Athens, Georgia

And a very ODD haystack

So, today, 14th place, with a +6, +21, +2:00 (max 2 minute score per leg, but thrown out here anyway), a –9, for 36 second score today. Combined with yesterday's times, we have slipped from 6th to 19th overall. Still better than average!

Tomorrow is a later start for us: we drew #45 in the order (full breakfast for us!). We'll be in Harrisonburg, VA for lunch, and expect to see Sue's Dad there, over from his place in Charlottesville. Then we cross into the 4th state of this rally, ending in Cumberland, MD. I once ran those roads just for fun, MANY years ago. We'll see if I can do it again, but on the clock now! And no gum chewing allowed!


Day 6, June 13, 2011:

Great Race Post #6

Mondays are not known for going well. However, the day broke cool and clear in Salem, VA. We dropped the top and planned to run the whole day en plein. We started with a blast back up part of I-81 to Natural Bridge, VA, where we started from a side road gas station just off the exit. We made a clean start (on time!), and quickly got spooked by another racer coming back toward us on the same little road we were heading out on! Sometimes a rally route will double-back, and it adds a little confusion and uncertainty for psychological challenge, but this just could not be! Did he forget his gas? No matter, we pressed on.

Unusually, rallymaster John Claussen laid out a course with roughly equal length both early and post-lunch, but set three legs (and checkpoints) in the morning and two in the afternoon. We tolled through back roads that passed seemingly dozens of country churches at every knoll and corner in rolling farm country with the Smokies and Blue Ridge mountains for scenic backdrop! Wow! It's hard to keep your eyes on the road. I would have so much enjoyed stopping a hundred times along the way, to snap perfect photos or just to say 'Hi' to the kids and folks that wave and hoot as we pass. Some set their lawn chairs to watch the parade! We ran in and out of deep, cool glades and back into high, open fields before diving down into another deep creek-bottomed vale and over another rollercoaster of a back road. Challenges included farm vehicles, deer (as everywhere!), and our own enchantment by the sunny day and drive. With the top down on the back roads, there are sounds and smells you miss in a modern, hermetic transport-o-pod. You can hear the birds sing as you pass; hear the whir of distant farm work; and there are smells of fresh-mowed hay (does it get ANY better?), and other farm scents, too… Also the earthy musk of a shady creek cutting rock. It is possible to travel through a country and actually BE THERE as you go!

But, hey, we are here to compete! Wake up, Dave! Pay attention, JC! We seem to have worked out our correction algorithms – for off-speed times when things or other folks get in our intended path (be they fellow racers or muggles: we have a difficulty scale called the mugglicity index, describing the frequency of such folk nearby that might be in bits of road we would like to use at the same time!). We actually had time for a photo or two and while searching for signs we saw some local detail we might have missed – and with it got a laugh or two. Consider the mailbox of one Ersel Funk (for so it was labelled as we passed): we wondered if there's an Ersel Sr. and Ersel Jr, and if the latter is just a re-Ersel for kids still to come? OK, it sounds more lame in the writing, but really, at the time it seemed soda-snorting funny! Must be the sun. Thank goodness they let us run radials this year! These tight little roads are much better handled on modern rubber! Especially when laughing.

By the way, some of you know I am 'writing' a book on mythical creatures that disguise themselves as innocent haybales; the American Hay-yaks. Wow, was this the season and the spot for great photo ops, capturing the hay-yaks in action, grazing in the fields – but no stopping! We were on the clock. More on this project another day, perhaps (Hey, it's a life goal with no deadline).

One very special little town we passed through (at 20 mph) is New Hope, Va. Many of the littler villages we pass have seen better days, perhaps having lost their reason for being. This little town was as tidy and well-kept as a Norman Rockwell painting. I wonder how they do it?

Some increasing difficulty with the brakes this morning, though… As in 2006, the left front is getting both sticky and draggy. Sometimes (but not always…) punching the pedal produces a lurch to the left! What's wrong? The bearings are OK (checked and repacked just before the trip), but maybe the return springs? Maybe a cylinder fault? Can we do anything about it???? It can be quite disconcerting on these narrow ways when the car seems to be trying to dive into the oncoming. Weird. Also, the vacuum leak or what ever it is seems to be making the idle rougher. Still, the engine pulls strong and smooth, the transmission is being VERY supportive of the brakes AND the engine; enabling so many torque-ups and downs to hold steady speeds on the hilly route. We have always said that our secret weapons are comfort & reliability – in lieu of any real skill. We may have to work on the latter if the reliability falters!

We broke for lunch in Harrisonburg, Va. Late in, we got the last few hot dogs and beans. Not the best fare, but Sue's dad was there, over from Charlottesville, and that made it mighty special (for us and I hope for him, too!). Just 30 minutes or so, then off we went again. For the afternoon run. One clean leg, then another very long one, and it seemed even longer as we missed a muggle-filled tricky intersection (my confusion!) and went for miles off course. No hope of recovery there, as we lost at least 15 minutes! We raced (more literally) to get back, at least into the pack, so we wouldn't be straggling in all alone. We did catch up to the back two, then relaxed a bit, knowing that the leg was lost. It ended with a real treat; crossing the headwater Potomac and the parallel old C&O canal, over a narrow wooden toll bridge – one of the very few privately owned toll bridges in America! The toll lady held out a long ladle to collect our 50 cents.

We had our evening park-in on the restored main-street mall in downtown Cumberland, MD – a stop we had also made in 2006. Cumberland is a really pretty town, reborn from its industrial past, just a great little place. The Great Race cars were arrayed on that treed and tiled walking street in front of the shops, and hundreds of strollers enjoyed them while we enjoyed a delicious dinner at a café on the street, too. Gary Bartik, a fan, was one of our greeting hosts and reintroduced himself (we had met last time here, and he recalled NO XQS very clearly!).

We pulled the cars into the hotel for the night and Dave and I set to getting inside the front brakes to understand the issue. The Fredettes, long term runners of this race in their yellow Model A pickup; lent a jack (we have the bumper jack, but for extensive work, a chassis support is much more reassuring for the guy under the wheel well). As we worked, a group of others gathered with lots of help (THANKS, GUYS!) and lots of opinions, too! A local constable pulled up and lends his cruiser's spotlight to the working illumination (nice touch). One thing I love about this race is the support and community - we're competing for our personal best, not to beat the others, so helping each other is a natural part of the game. Dave pulled the wheels, I pulled the drums and bearings, and everybody inspected the bits. We saw nothing amiss on the right, but the left shows much more lining wear, some odd colors and glazing, and some heat cracking in the drum surface. There's no leakage and all cylinders are mobile. Nothing is a smoking gun, so we blew it all out and put it back together. I set the bearings a little looser. Chad Caldwell (another Chrysler fan – we helped him out of a flat on his DeSoto in the 2006 run) hopped in and we took it for a multiple hot–stop test. The pedal still feels low (I should have brought up the adjusters on the left, but I'm afraid of just adding to the drag problem). But there is no pull (as before, because the brakes aren't all that hot, even with those stops). We decide to go with it, but to ask more of the tranny and less of the drums.

(click on small images to view full size versions)


DAVE at work

And DRUM Replacement

So, how'd we do today? In the five legs we ran 4 seconds, 0 seconds (another Ace!), 3 seconds, 3 seconds, and then a godawful many minutes on that last lost leg. With that one tossed, our total for the day is 10 seconds, good enough for 7th place overall and 2nd in our class (sportsman, not expert or rookie). That moved us up slightly in the overall standings to date, to 17th and 6th in Sportsman class. Not bad at all! Not bad for a Monday.

Hey, I understand that there are pix of the Imperial now up on the Great race site; and on the blog at blog.cokertire.com; and even a photo (and soon a timelapse video) of our brake work tonight on the Facebook page for Great Race. Cool!

Family Motto: "Get up tomorrow and kick it again!"

J 'livin' it' c

This page was last updated June 20, 2011.  Send us your feedback, and come join the Imperial Mailing List - Online Car Club